Government launches appeal
The government has launched an appeal for nearly 60 million dollars to help fight the cholera outbreak that has so far claimed thirty lives in Harare and one in Masvingo. The number of laboratory confirmed cases has risen to 53 while more than five thousand five hundred suspected cases of cholera have now been recorded.
Meanwhile, the appeal document will be sent to Embassies in Harare, the business community and will also be made available to the general populace by Tuesday.
Launching the cholera funding appeal at a meeting attended by members of the diplomatic community, the business community and government representatives, Minister of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing Cde July Moyo said the Ministry of Health requires about 63 million dollars while about 12 million dollars is required for infrastructure of water reticulation systems. Treasury has so far availed twelve million to the Ministry of Health and 6,2 million to the ministry of local government.
Health and Child Care Minister Dr Obediah Moyo said short term interventions that the government has embarked on have assisted in containing the cases where so far thirty people in Harare have succumbed to cholera.